Sonntag, 15. Dezember 2013

A Very German Thanksgiving

Alright, I'll admit it. For the first time since I have been here I got homesick. Not the "aw gee, I really miss sleeping in my own bed" homesick but the ugly crying "WHAT AM I DOING HERE?" homesick. It wasn't pretty. Why might you ask? Because Thanksgiving is one of my very favorite holiday celebrations and the reality of not celebrating it with those nearest and dearest to my heart really hit me hard. I had been mentally preparing myself for this moment since the beginning of the month of November but ah I missed my Hoosier Home. 

BUT there is a happy ending to this story:  those tears were replaced by smiles and laughter due to the most joyous Friendsgiving I have ever celebrated. Oh yes, and I got to eat not one but TWO Thanksgiving dinners. Win. 

It all started on Thanksgiving Day: I worked all day at school with the kiddos and even though Germans do not celebrate Thanksgiving (they have a similar holiday in October but it's not as nationally recognized), my 7th grade class was completely entranced by this holiday.  After explaining the significance of it and sharing some of my own family traditions, I taught them all how to make "Turkey Hands" by tracing their own hand on a sheet of paper and then writing what they are thankful inside of the "turkey."  The responses were adorable.  They were thankful for everything from "french fries" to "living in a land where there is no war."  I was a bit nervous before doing this activity because I didn't know if they would fully understand it but I was absolutely blown away. 7th graders are the best. 

After I got out of school, I ran home, packed up my stuff and jumped on the train to Frankfurt!  On the way there, I bumped into a fellow Fulbrighter who was also on her way to Frankfurt to celebrate Thanksgiving as well! Small world :)  I was greeted at the train station in Frankfurt by my friend who is not only a Fulbrighter but is ALSO an IU Alum AND was in the sorority that was across the street from mine!  Even smaller world.  We spent the evening at a beautiful dinner hosted by our American friend and her German boyfriend (she's also a Fulbrighter, duh).  It was a fabulous evening meeting new German friends, sharing Thanksgiving traditions with them and sipping on delicious wine! Yum. 

The next day my IU friend and I had planned on waking up early in order to check out the Frankfurt Christmas Market before going grocery shopping and preparing our OWN Thanksgiving dinner. We overslept. No Christmas Market BUT we did get all of the grocery shopping done.  With the help of some tasty champagne mixed with elder plant and raspberries, we spent the rest of the afternoon chopping, mashing, and basting. The end result----> the most delicious Friendsgiving dinner. Ever. Mmmm I am still dreaming about that gravy. 
Our feast 

There was a quick moment of panic during the baking of the turkey (who we named Prince George William Charles II or something like that lolz) -- German ovens aren't exactly equipped for roasting 13+ lb. birds and at one point when we were basting the turkey, the baking rack crumbled under the weight sending the bird flying toward the ground. NOOOO!!! Luckily, there were 4 of us huddled around the oven and one of us had a towel so we pushed that baby back into the oven. Whew! Crisis averted.
Moments before the almost Turkey catastrophe 

Our second Friendsgiving was even more international than the first one with friends from Germany, America AND Great Britain, with everyone bringing their own dish. It was lovely! 

Before we dug in to the feast, keeping with Thanksgiving tradition, we went around the table and, one by one, said what we were especially thankful for this year.  I couldn't help but tear up when it was my turn -- the amount of blessings I have had this year is sometimes overwhelming.  My heart is full.

We spent the rest of the evening laughing, sharing stories, eating turkey and drinking Apfelwein to our hearts content: a very Frankfurt Thanksgiving. I will cherish those memories for my entire life, I know it!

The next morning we woke up to the Thanksgiving aftermath: SO MANY DISHES. Seriously, Thanksgiving is hard work!  So much strategic planning and timing. So much respect for my dear Mom who has orchestrated this production for the past years.  You da woman! After tidying up a bit, we hit the road and finally made it to the Christmas Market!  I met up with one of my buddies who I studied abroad with in Freiburg who is now living in Frankfurt and then caught the afternoon train back to Kasselfornia. 
My friend Chuck who I studied in Freiburg with! 

All in all, Friendsgiving 2013, although not the same as an Indy Thanksgiving, was everything Thanksgiving should be: a warm celebration filled with good friends, laughter, and tasty food. 

My fellow IU alum! 


2 Kommentare:

  1. You DO have a gift for storytelling....hmmm...might lead to a future!?..love, Momma

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. love this post! i agree with your mom - you are an excellent writer!! :)

    AntwortenLöschen